Breakfast burritos always hit the spot! I get pretty excited when I see those on a brunch menu, but we never seem to make them at home. Being that it was about 0 degrees all day yesterday here I texted Eric and said HOW GOOD DO BREAKFAST BURRITOS SOUND FOR DINNER?! We love breakfast for dinner and the burritos are the perfect comfort food.
We decided to make a little burrito bar and I had a can of green chile enchilada sauce on hand so it worked out great. You can add in any veggies you want as well… this is a good “use things up” dish. Here’s what we did!
- Tortillas – we used wheat
- Eggs – about 2 per person depending on how many burritos you want to make
- 1 green pepper diced
- Mushrooms diced
- Fresh spinach diced
- Shredded cheese – we used cheddar and mozzarella because that’s what we had 🙂
- Italian chicken sausage – I used chicken sausage to make it a little bit healthier but LOVE regular italian sausage too
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- Green chile sauce (we used the one below)
This was pretty quick to pull together… perfect for weeknight dinners. We cooked the sausage in a skillet and once done set that aside on a plate. Add the eggs to the same skillet and scramble those. Once the eggs are almost done add the veggies and give them a quick satay to make them tender.
Once that is done set up your burrito bar and assemble! We heated up the tortillas and sauce.
Top with the heated sauce and enjoy!
P.S. My husband teased me for bringing the big pitcher of sauce to the table to keep adding… does anyone else LOVE green chile sauce as much as I do? If you have a good recipe or brand to try let me know!